Every year, hundreds of thousands of people venture to Grand Rapids, Michigan in the fall to check out a nearly three-week-long event called ArtPrize. ArtPrize is a radically open international art competition decided by public vote and expert jury. It is a free event that is open to the public and everyone is invited to check out all different types of art covering the city – from outside on the streets to inside many of the buildings. This year marks the 8th year of ArtPrize, the most attended public art event in the world. The event runs from September 21 to October 9.
The artists are people 18+ from around the world who come to Grand Rapids to display their work. More than a third of these artists sell their work during or after ArtPrize. The artists get to choose from 200 venues where to display their work, which is very uncommon at art events. Any attendee 13 years or older can vote for their favorite artwork, and the art is also judged by a jury of art experts. More than $500,000 in prizes are awarded, with half the prizes based on public vote, and the other half decided by jury.
Since ArtPrize is only a couple weeks long and there are so many pieces to see, listed below are the venues with 30+ entries. Make the most of your trip by stopping at these places, and use the ArtPrize website to plan your trip.
Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids Downtown
- 90 entries indoor
- Location: On Lyon between Monroe & Ottawa
- 85 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: Corner of Fulton & Monroe
Women’s City Club
- 61 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: Corner of Fulton & Lafayette
DeVos Place Convention Center
- 57 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: On Monroe between Michigan and Lyon
Fifth Third Bank/Warner Norcross & Judd LLP
- 55 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: Corner of Ottawa & Lyon
The City Water Building
- 55 entries indoor
- Location: On Monroe between Sligh Boulevard and 3 Mile
The Blue Bridge
- 44 entries outdoor
- Location: Between Fulton and Pearl over the Grand River
First (Park) Congregational
- 39 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: On Library between East Park & Ransom
Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum
- 33 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: On Scribner across from Ah Nab Awen Park
Western Michigan University – Grand Rapids
- 32 entries indoor & outdoor
- Location: Corner of Cherry & Ionia
Check out some of the entries below by clicking on the picture to take you to its info page!